beantwoord

Can i buy an e-ticket using my creditcard?

Toon eerste bericht

54 reacties

Hi ChristianStemmer,

Welcome to our NS Serviceforum 🙂 Glad to know that you find the information on this forum. I'm sorry to read that you are this angry. Did you already check our website www.nsinternational.nl? By now it is also possible to pay by creditcard for e-tickets on this website.
Dear Iris,

thanks for your hint. No, I didn't get to that website, since it is not very obvious that you run two websites. The www.ns.nl-website did not refer me to that. I would have assumed, that www.nsinternational.nl was a website that offers interntional travel. That you can book national travel there is not obvious. You might help other potential customers by giving the information about that website at the place where the payment methods comes up. As a foreigner not familiar with the dutch train system, it took me an hour of internet reserach to find the Belgian website, but not the nsinternational.nl site. Maybe there is room for improvement in terms of how to spread information on that. But thanks for your help!
roderickklein schreef:

What I rather mean is that its *public" transport. I am not talking about who owns the the company but rather it should be easy for traveller to access _public_ transport and how he pays for it.
When it comes to generating a profit and and the cost of a creditcard. Most ticket desks have been closed. Carrying that little cost of the creditcard is a lot cheaper. Since you made the discussion broader, yes it should be easier to buy any public transport ticket for people who visit our country!

As for not being able to buy a ticket on a bus without a creditcard in two years time. The companies that do not supply this service are pretty stupid and its a pitty the goverment does not step in. Did you not see the link I posted. Even the Dutch parlement in 2015 had a discussion about wanting a ticket for tourists and visitors from outside the country. For me that says enough how customer unfocussed the public sector functions...

For the "few" tourists (as you put), that is why in Zeeland they brought back a paper ticket for German tourists. As not everybody wanted to buy an anonymous OV chipcard:
http://www.connexxion.nl/reizen/1190/de-zeeuwse-strip/2209

Yes and you know what does people are being ripped off with OV chipcard charge of 1 Euro and then 50 cents for the creditcard. What a "warm" welcome to our small country when you arrive at Schiphol airport.
As for foreign travllers people also enter our country by rail from Germany and Belgium.

Friends of mine made tour by train from Germany via Belgium. In the Netherlands they had most trouble buying a train ticket. Some tickets they purchased via the NMBS. But you know its of course pretty stupid a traveller has to figure this out by him self... They wanted to buy all tickets so they stick to there travel schedudle.
In Rotterdam they simply walked for the few journeys as the loose tickets where pretty expensive....

As the saying goes. Getting there is half the fun. Well not if you have to find out how the system work.
The system should be easy for people from outside the Netherlands to use. And also outside Amsterdam there are tourists that use and WANT to use _public_ transport.

Instead of saying why its all not possible, the NS should look at other countries and other cities where many years ago you can at ticket machine AND via the internet buy a ticket. In a lot of cases even without a credit card charge!
Take a look at Deutsche Bahn machines. I can even buy a ticket from a small station to for example small town in the Netherlands. Is that possible in the Netherlands.

According to some people we are a trading nation. Well when it comes to our public transport system it certainly really public transport for people who live in the Netherlands. But for people from outside the country its a bureaucratic journey to use _public_ transport.

Again a warm warm welcome to our small country...

Its now nearly 2018 and we still can not buy tickets online without a dutch ban account. Ridiculous.
Not only that, if you happen to be on the wrong side of a station such as Leiden and you want to go to the centre and follow the signs which point to the passage going though the station, you come to a barier for which you need a ticket or ov card. I have an anominous ov card but only use it for busses, so it did not have enough money. There were no signs to show how you could get to the other side. We have had this problem many times and only during this years visit were we shown how to get a 'one time only' pass on our ov card. Some progress I suppose.
The NS and other public transport could look at other countries for example Austria. We were able to buy 1,2 day or weekly passes online so that we were able to travel to and in Vienna without any problems.
Iris NS schreef:

Hi ChristianStemmer,

Welcome to our NS Serviceforum 🙂 Glad to know that you find the information on this forum. I'm sorry to read that you are this angry. Did you already check our website www.nsinternational.nl? By now it is also possible to pay by creditcard for e-tickets on this website.

No you cant! Tried to book Amsterdam-Amersfoort return. It says 'niet online beschikbaar'
KittyTFS schreef:

Inge NS schreef:

Welcome to our serviceforum De Lint!

Hans answer is correct. You can only buy etickets using iDeal, secure online banking with a Dutch bank. Fore more information about (other) tickets, please see: http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/arrange-and-buy

Have a safe flight to the Netherlands.

Kind reagrds,
Inge

P.s. I've replaced your topic in our subforum Overige Producten and changed the name to make it more easy to find.

What's the point putting information for visitors to the Netherlands if there is NO WAY you can buy a ticket online. iDeal is only for people with a Dutch bank account. The service of NS is very user- and environment unfriendly and will only stimulate that visitors, such as myself, will find themselves forced to opt for - much more expensive and polluting - car hire. If you do not except credit card payments for the e-tickets, why not opt to add the possibility to pay by PayPal. This is an international secure paying method. But why should I suggest such a pretty simple and flexible solution if you have - no doubt - a whole team of overpaid PR people that could have come up with that brilliant idea.

I agree. Why bother to put info about buying online in english if you can not buy them online unless you have a dutch bank account. How many people are there with a dutch bank account who only speak english and no dutch?
Also make clear befor trying to buy them that its only available on iDeal. Only when you have entered all your details do you finally find this out! Not customer friendly at all.
Reputatie 7
Badge +2
Why would you want to buy a ticket in advance for travel in NL? There are no advantages: no discounts for buying before the date of travel, no seat reservations, nothing. There are only disadvantages: if you change your travel plans there are no refunds for e-tickets in N, nor can you change your travel plans.

Just turn up at the station and buy a ticket there for your trip. The ticket machines take credit cards.

I do agree that it makes no sense that NS puts all kind of information on their website for visitors that are not applicable for foreign visitors who obviously don't have a Dutch bank account.

You can't compare NS to the Austrian Railways. They run long distance intercity trains with seat reservations. NS basically run a glorified commuter service.
Because on the nsinternational site you can buy it with a credit card with just only .10 surcharge instead of a 1 euro each transaction. It is scandalous that you have to pay 1 euro for the single use ticket. Just scandalous.

iMark schreef:

Why would you want to buy a ticket in advance for travel in NL? There are no advantages: no discounts for buying before the date of travel, no seat reservations, nothing. There are only disadvantages: if you change your travel plans there are no refunds for e-tickets in N, nor can you change your travel plans.

Just turn up at the station and buy a ticket there for your trip. The ticket machines take credit cards.

I do agree that it makes no sense that NS puts all kind of information on their website for visitors that are not applicable for foreign visitors who obviously don't have a Dutch bank account.

You can't compare NS to the Austrian Railways. They run long distance intercity trains with seat reservations. NS basically run a glorified commuter service.

So I checked the belgian railways site and they charge 1 euro extra for the fare without calling it a creditcard surcharge. On the NSinternational, you can book within the country journeys with a surcharge of 10 cents which was the way it used to be if you paid for single paper tickets at the desk before these disposable tickets with a chip. Can you still buy paper tickets at the desk and does it cost just 10 cents if you pay cash and is there a surcharge for credit card purchases??
Reputatie 7
Badge +2
Yes, you can buy train tickets at the ticket desk at stations but only in the form of disposable chip cards. You will pay a surcharge of €1 for the chip card and another surcharge of €0,50 for paying by credit card. In this case it would be cheaper to buy a day return ticket.

Incidentally, the credit card surcharges should be phased out by July because the EU has deemed them illegal. The Dutch have been very slow in implementing the ban on surcharges.
Hello suehung,

Here you can read some information about buying a ticket:

"Many stations have an NS Tickets & Service shop or an OV Service & Tickets shop. Handy if you want some personal assistance. You can go there with questions about your door-to-door journey. You can also purchase a season ticket or a single use chip card. When buying a single use chip card from the cashier or the NS Ticket Machine, you will be charged a € 1 supplement in addition to the price that you would pay to travel with an OV-chipkaart. At larger stations our service staff are also present in the station building and on the platforms."

From this information you can conclude that buying a ticket from the machine or help desk are alike in costs. For both goes that you pay a surcharge when you pay by credit card.
Thanks Mark for the info and headsup that the credit card charges should be phased out around summer time. It is embarassing to explain to friend they can't use their credit cards here like you can use them around the word.
However as I pointed out you can go to NS International and avoid the 1 euros surcharge, it is just based on my testing of several ticket journeys 10 cents more which is more palatable than the ridiculous 1 euro surcharge. It's just outrageous.
The Moderator tells me to read the info for a chip card, I already did, thanks for nothing. Moderator should read the question and answer with specificity my question. It is about using a credit cards and their charges not chip cards. Do you think I have infinite time to find info that isn't there?
iMark schreef:

Yes, you can buy train tickets at the ticket desk at stations but only in the form of disposable chip cards. You will pay a surcharge of €1 for the chip card and another surcharge of €0,50 for paying by credit card. In this case it would be cheaper to buy a day return ticket.

Incidentally, the credit card surcharges should be phased out by July because the EU has deemed them illegal. The Dutch have been very slow in implementing the ban on surcharges.

Badge +3
Arnold NS schreef:

From this information you can conclude that buying a ticket from the machine or help desk are alike in costs. For both goes that you pay a surcharge when you pay by credit card.

I believe that this surcharge is no longer in place since 1 January; NS stated in this document, about the tariffs in 2018, that they were going to drop it. As a result, people who pay with creditcard should already pay the same amount as anyone who uses another method of payment.
Reputatie 7
Badge +2
I didn't know about this document. Good to read that NS has implemented the new regulations before the Dutch government made them do so in June.
iMark schreef:

It may work for people who have pin-and-chip credit card. Not quite so for those who have cards still requiring signatures.

In 2016, the ticket machines wouldn't sell me a ticket without a pin code, so I've given up going to the machines. If things have changed since then, I'm all ears.

The several times of buying a ticket through a service counter were less than acceptable. The wait time at Schipol has always been more than I wanted. It is pretty understandable that a number of people are also asking for maps and directions.

Then the last time (May 2017) while I was at Rotterdam Centraal, I was shamed for having to "kill trees" because the credit I used required spitting out two pieces of paper, one for my signature and one for my record. He had to make more fuss for throwing the piece of paper that just got printed out into the trash bin. May also be partly because I am an American. He probably was just kidding, but I couldn't tell, and I was not amused. I'm sure other patrons could hear our conversation as well. As If I was dying to put myself in line so that I could waste 10 mins of my life because your technology is old. I never had problems buying tickets at the machine in Paris, and London is Apple Pay friendly.

Sure, buying a ticket on the spot gives me flexibility. So is being able to buy tickets through the app or website as well because I don't have to wait in line or deal with people. On top of that there's no disposable chip cards required - saves me some change and the environment as well.
Reputatie 7
Badge +2
Not trying to be cynical I would suggest that you stop travelling across the Atlantic Ocean if you really care about the planet. Saving a couple of pieces of paper or disposable chip cards are a drop in the ocean compared to air travel.

The fact that Apple Pay is not operational yet in NL has nothing to with NS. It's the Dutch banks that aren't providing the service yet in NL. This is the current list of countries where Apple Pay is supported:

The fact that your American credit card doesn't have Chip and Pin can only be attributed to the disastrous introduction of the EMV chip in the US.
More information on that issue here:
https://www.creditcardinsider.com/learn/chip-and-signature-chip-and-pin-emv-cards/
https://qz.com/717876/the-chip-card-transition-in-the-us-has-been-a-disaster/
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/03/us-determined-to-have-the-least-secure-credit-cards-in-the-world/473199/
https://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/20/opinions/dodge-credit-cards-chip-and-pin/index.html

You could try to switch to a bank that provides a Chip and PIN card rather than a Chip and Signature Card for your international travel.
Tochjo schreef:

I believe that this surcharge is no longer in place since 1 January;

That's correct, bought a ticket from the machine with debit card on January 4th without the surcharge 🙂
iMark schreef:

Not trying to be cynical I would suggest that you stop travelling across the Atlantic Ocean if you really care about the planet. Saving a couple of pieces of paper or disposable chip cards are a drop in the ocean compared to air travel.

The fact that Apple Pay is not operational yet in NL has nothing to with NS. It's the Dutch banks that aren't providing the service yet in NL. This is the current list of countries where Apple Pay is supported:

The fact that your American credit card doesn't have Chip and Pin can only be attributed to the disastrous introduction of the EMV chip in the US.
More information on that issue here:
https://www.creditcardinsider.com/learn/chip-and-signature-chip-and-pin-emv-cards/
https://qz.com/717876/the-chip-card-transition-in-the-us-has-been-a-disaster/
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/03/us-determined-to-have-the-least-secure-credit-cards-in-the-world/473199/
https://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/20/opinions/dodge-credit-cards-chip-and-pin/index.html

You could try to switch to a bank that provides a Chip and PIN card rather than a Chip and Signature Card for your international travel.

I think you got it all wrong. It was the NS employee who made a fuss and embarrassed me in public for having a non pin-and-chip card that his machine had to spit out pieces of paper. Maybe he should stop working there so he doesn't have to deal with it. I was perfectly fine with whatever payment system NS was using until having to deal with that NS employee.

I'm now just trying to find ways to avoid having to deal with the same situation as much as possible.
Reputatie 6
Badge
You can try the Tranzer app.
https://www.tranzer.com/en/home

With that you can buy an e-ticket and pay with your creditcard. There is a service fee of 75 eurocent per transaction when you pay with a creditcard.
Reputatie 7
Badge +2
travelling_with_dog schreef:

I think you got it all wrong. It was the NS employee who made a fuss and embarrassed me in public for having a non pin-and-chip card that his machine had to spit out pieces of paper. Maybe he should stop working there so he doesn't have to deal with it. I was perfectly fine with whatever payment system NS was using until having to deal with that NS employee.

I'm now just trying to find ways to avoid having to deal with the same situation as much as possible.

I was answering the reason why you can't buy a ticket from a ticket machine in NL with an American credit card. I answered your statement: "In 2016, the ticket machines wouldn't sell me a ticket without a pin code, so I've given up going to the machines. If things have changed since then, I'm all ears."

Things haven't changed since then because in the US most credit cards don't come with Chip and Pin. That causes issues for the US card holders who travel internationally. I suggest you contact your bank and/or credit card provider in the US.

I can't possibly comment on what happened at the counter in Rotterdam. I wasn't there. It sounds like a major misunderstanding.
iMark schreef:

I suggest you contact your bank and/or credit card provider in the US.

I can't possibly comment on what happened at the counter in Rotterdam. I wasn't there. It sounds like a major misunderstanding.

Sure, I'll contact my bank and I'll get a shrug. I'm fine with having to deal with eye-rolls because the wait staff at the restaurant now has to find a pen for me, or the long wait lines I have to be in to obtain service.

I was being a perfectly normal person trying to buy a ticket when the NS credit card machine started to print out the receipt, and he exclaimed "one tree dead". When the second one came out, "oh look, a second tree died" and continue to rumble something about how the environment is going down because of people like me. He then asked me if I wanted to keep the receipt, I said no, and he said what a waste because the paper was short lived and existed with no purpose. As a solo female traveller, the last thing I wanted was to draw attention to myself.

Glad I found tripkey.nl.
Reputatie 7
Badge +2
It sounds like you encountered the infamous variety of Dutch blunt humour. It's not for the faint hearted.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
Tripkey is the best way by far for public transport.

But if your credit card has a Visa, Maestro, Cirrus or American Express logo, it should work at ticket machines. You will need the PIN code, of course. Inform at the credit card company.
Reputatie 7
Badge +2
And the point was that almost no US credit cards are being issued with Chip and Signature rather than Chip an PIN. Credit card holders from the US run into problems outside the US when they're trying to use Chip and PIN machines because they don't have a PIN code. This is a US problem, not an NS one.
travelling_with_dog schreef:

I was being a perfectly normal person trying to buy a ticket when the NS credit card machine started to print out the receipt, and he exclaimed "one tree dead". When the second one came out, "oh look, a second tree died" and continue to rumble something about how the environment is going down because of people like me. He then asked me if I wanted to keep the receipt, I said no, and he said what a waste because the paper was short lived and existed with no purpose. As a solo female traveller, the last thing I wanted was to draw attention to myself.

It's your choice not have a CC with chip&pin right? So in case your choice is causing issues on the other side; next time bring some cash or just accept what is happening. All together this is nothing in comparison the hassle a EU citizen has to go through when he wants to enter US.
Lucky144 schreef:

It's your choice not have a CC with chip&pin right? So in case your choice is causing issues on the other side; next time bring some cash or just accept what is happening. All together this is nothing in comparison the hassle a EU citizen has to go through when he wants to enter US.

Technically you can say that, since I chose to live in the US. I've also accepted the shortcomings and inconveniences with credit cards that affect me maybe 2 weeks in a year. I even make sure I bring my own pen when I eat out.

What I'm not accepting is being humiliated by a public service employee. If it wasn't because of that incident, I couldn't have cared less about credit card compatibility.

And did I offend anyone by comparing other EU ticket machines?

Reageer